Before you apply for a California provisional instruction permit, you will need to provide one of the following if you are between 15 and a half and 17 and a half years old:
• Certificate of completion of Driver Education program
• Certificate of completion of Driver Education and Driver Training program
• Certificate of enrollment in a Driver Education and Driver Training program
• A DL 33 form completed by an out-of-state secondary school
• A letter from an out-of-state secondary school signed by a school official outlining the courses you took which must be equivalent to the California secondary school course
The DMV will not accept an out-of-state instructional permit as proof that you have completed a driver education and/or driver training program.