Before applying for a provisional driver’s license, you must be able to pass a driving test. Applicants must meet the following requirements:
• Must be 16 to 18 years old
• Have had a California instruction permit for at least six months
• Have completed a driver education course
• Have completed 6 hours of a professional driver’s training course
• Have completed 50 hours of practice driving with an adult who is 25 years or older and holds a valid California driver’s license. At least 10 out of the 50 hours must include nighttime driving.
You can obtain an unrestricted license when you turn 18 years old, providing there are no restrictions or suspensions on your provisional driver’s license.