Click here to ask your driving related question.
Frequently Asked Questions - Preparing For Your NY Permit Test
- How many people fail the permit test their first time?
- How do I schedule my NY permit test?
- Do I need to complete a Driver's Education course to be eligible for a NY permit?
- Where can I get a NY Driver's manual?
- Are there any chapters of the DMV manual that I can just skip?
- Where can I take my NY permit test?
- If I have Form-285 Driver's Education Certificate do I still need to take the written test?
- Is there anything I should do the night before my permit test?
- Is there anything in particular that I need to know for my NY permit test?
Approximately 35% of applicants fail the NY permit test their first time. That's why it's important to study consistently and regularly to make sure you have the best chance of passing your NY permit test.
When you are ready to take your permit test, you will need to call your local DMV office to see what times are available for the written test. Choose a time that fits well in your schedule, and on the day of your test bring your application, proofs of identity, your social security card and your application fee.
You don't need to complete a driver's education in order to be eligible for a NY permit, but you are required to complete a driver's education course or pre-licensing class before you take your Driving Exam.
You can find NY Driver's Manual at the official NY DMV website: http://dmv.ny.gov/driver-license/drivers-manual-practice-tests. If you prefer your local DMV office will have copies available as well.
To be safe, you should be familiar with the entire NY Driver's Manual. The NY Driver's manual has three parts. Part One provides information that you want to know about applying for your Driver's License. Part Two and Three offer more specific information that will help you study and successfully pass your NY written test.
You can take your NY permit test at your local DMV office.
No. You do not need to take the NY written test if you have Form-285 Driver's Education Certificate.
The night before your permit test, you want to review all of your notes. Don't try to cram the night before your test. It's better to test yourself on the information you have studied and get a good night's rest.
For your NY permit test, you should be familiar with the NY Driver's Manual. These chapters include information (and tips) about when to yield, how to stop at a four-way stop and what traffic signs, signals and markings indicate. Before you take your NY permit test, you should know all the rules of the road.