Click here to ask your driving related question.
Frequently Asked Questions - Taking Your CA Permit Test
- What happens if I don't pass my written test?
- Do I have to wait to retake my written test?
- Once I have my permit who can I drive with?
- What happens after I pass my permit test?
- Is the CA permit test open book?
- Do I have to pass a drug test before obtaining my CA learner's permit?
- How many questions are on the CA permit test?
- How many questions do I need to answer correctly in order to pass?
- What are common mistakes applicants make on the CA permit test?
- How do I sign up for a CA permit?
- When am I eligible to apply for my CA permit?
- What documents do I need to bring with me to take my permit test if I am under 18?
- How much is the permit test?
- Do I have to bring my parents with me when I take my permit test?
You may retake the written test up to three times before you have to pay another $31 application fee.
Yes. You must wait 7 days to schedule a retest.
A licensed California driver, who is over 25, must sit next to you whenever you are behind the wheel and driving. You can have others in the car as well, but these individuals must be seated in the back seat, and they must wear a seat belt.
After you have passed your permit test, you must wait at least 6 months before you can schedule your road test. During this time, you must complete 50 practice hours on the road with a licensed California driver, who is over 25, ten of which must be completed at night. You must also complete your Driver's Education course and complete 6 hours of professional driver's training.
No. The CA permit test is not an open book test. Under no circumstances are you allowed to use your CA Driver's Manual or any other study guides during the exam.
A drug test is required. You agree to submit a chemical test when you sign your application. This drug test will determine the amount of alcohol and/or drugs in your blood stream at the time of the test.
Typically, the permit test includes 46 questions.
You must answer 39 out of 46 questions correctly in order to pass.
The biggest common error is rushing through the questions. During your permit test remember to relax, take your time and answer the questions thoughtfully.
You sign up for your CA permit through the DMV office. Visit www.dmv.ca.gov for more information about how you can schedule an appointment.
You must be at least 15 1/2 years old to apply.
When you apply for your license, you will need to bring with you the application fee, Form DL44 Driver's License application that is signed by your parent or legal guardian, your social security number, your full legal name, an original birth certificate or proof of legal presence, a Certficate of Completion of Driver's Education or a Certificate of Completion of Driver's Education and Driver Training or a Certificate of Enrollment in A Classroom Driver Education and Driver Training.
The application is $31. This fee includes the cost of your permit and road test.
The DMV does not require your parents accompany you to your permit test, but you will need a responsible licensed driver who is over 25 years old to accompany you.