Click here to ask your driving related question.
Frequently Asked Questions - Taking Your DC Permit Test
- Do I have to take a drug test to be able to take my DC Permit Test?
- What happens if I fail my DC Permit Test?
- What happens after I pass my DC Permit Test?
- Is the DC Permit Test open book?
- At what age am I eligible to take the DC Permit Test?
- What documents do I need to bring with me when I take my DC Permit Test?
- Who do I need to bring with me when I go to take my DC Permit Test?
- What do I need to know to pass my DC Permit Test?
- How many questions do I have to answer correctly on the DC Permit Test to pass?
No. You do not have to take or pass a drug test to be able to apply or receive an DC Driver's License.
There are a few reasons, test takers fail their DC Permit Test. A test taker who fails may not have studied thoroughly. Or he or she may have been nervous, anxious and/or distracted on the day of the test. If you fail your DC Permit Test, you will not receive your DC Learner's Permit, and you will need to retake the exam. You will be able to do so after 72 hours have passed, however, do not rush retaking the exam. Take your time. Read the entire DC Driver's Manual again and answer test questions on our website [link] so that the next time you take the DC Permit Test you have the best chance of passing.
If you pass your DC Permit Test, you will receive your DC Learner's Permit. You will need to maintain your DC Permit for 6 months before you can take your DC Driving Exam. During this time you should complete 40 hours of behind-the-wheel training.
No. You are not allowed to use your DC Driver's Manual or any other study material while you take your DC Permit Test.
In DC, the minimum age requirement is 16 years old.
On the day of your DC Permit Test, you will need to bring proof of your name, your date of birth your residence in DC and your Social Security Number. If you are under 18, you will need to demonstrate proof of your parent or legal guardian's approval as well.
If you are under 18, a parent or legal guardian should accompany you. If they are unable to do so you will need to submit proof of your parent or legal guardian's consent.
To give yourself the best chance of passing your DC Permit Test, you should read the entire Manual. The Permit Test will test your knowledge of traffic safety laws, speed limits, traffic violations, road signs, and other topics that are covered in the DC Driver's Manual.
The DC Permit Test consists of 20 multiple choice questions. You will need to answer 15 of those 20 questions correctly in order to pass.