Click here to ask your driving related question.
Frequently Asked Questions - Taking Your MA Permit Test
- What happens if I fail my MA Permit Test?
- What happens after I pass my MA Permit Test?
- How long is the MA Permit Test?
- Is the MA Permit Test open book?
- Do I have to take a drug test to be able to take my MA Permit Test?
- How much does the MA Permit Test cost?
- Who do I need to bring with me when I go to take my MA permit test?
- What do I need to know to pass my MA Permit Test?
- How many questions do I have to answer correctly on the MA Permit Test to pass?
- What documents do I need to bring with me when I take my MA Permit Test?
- At what age am I eligible to take the MA Permit Test?
- Do I need to sign up for a MA Permit Test?
If you fail your MA Permit Test you will be able to retake the Permit Test as soon as you feel ready. You will have to pay another $30 permit fee. It's important to NOT rush retaking your Permit Test. Study thoroughly and read the entire manual to give yourself the best chance of passing your written exam on the second try.
Once you have passed the MA Permit Test, you will complete a Driver's Education course that is approved by the RMV. The course should include 30 hours of classroom training, twelve of which should be behind-the-wheel training. You should also complete six hours in the car observing other student drivers. Your parent or legal guardian must also certify that you have completed an additional 40 hours of supervised behind-the-wheel driving.
You have 25 minutes to answer 25 questions correctly.
No. You are not allowed to use your MA Driver's Manual or any other study materials during your MA Permit Test.
No. You do not have to take a drug test when you apply for your MA Permit.
The permit test costs $30. You have the option of paying the permit and road test together, before you complete the Permit Test. The road is $20. So if you choose to do this you would pay $50. If you fail the test, you will have to pay this fee again. So before taking your exam, you want to make sure you are well-prepared.
A qualifying sponsor should accompany you to your MA Permit Test. A qualifying sponsor can be a parent, legal guardian, driving instructor, spouse, driving instructor responsible licensed driver age 21 years old or older.
To give yourself the best chance of passing your MA Permit Test you should study all chapters and sections of the MA Driver's Manual. The exam will test your knowledge of speed limits, pavement markings, traffic signs, defensive driving and much more basic rules of the road.
You must answer 18 of the 25 questions on your Permit Test correctly in order to pass successfully.
You will need to bring three identification documents: a document that you have signed, a document proving that you are a MA resident and a document demonstrating your birth. Visit the MA RMV for a comprehensive list of acceptable documents: http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/rmv/ .
You are eligible to sign up for your permit starting at age 16.
You can sign up for your MA Permit Test by visiting your local RMV branch.