Click here to ask your driving related question.
Frequently Asked Questions - Taking Your MI Permit Test
- How many questions do I have to answer correctly on the MI Permit Test to pass?
- Is the MI Permit Test open book?
- Do I have to take a drug test to be able to take my MI Permit Test?
- What happens if I fail my MI Permit Test?
- What happens after I pass my MI Permit Test?
- What do I need to know to pass my MI Permit Test?
- What documents do I need to bring with me when I take my MI Permit Test?
- Where do I take my MI Permit Test when I am ready?
- How much does the MI Permit Test cost?
- Who do I need to bring with me when I go to take my MI Permit test?
There are 50 questions on the MI Permit Test. You must answer 40 of those 50 multiple choice questions correctly in order to pass.
No. You are not allowed to use your MI Driver's Manual or any other study materials while you take your MI Permit Test.
No. You do not have to take or pass a drug test to be able to apply or receive an MI Driver's License.
If you fail your Permit's Test, you will be able to take it again as early as the next day. But do not rush retaking the MI Permit Test if you fail. Really study thoroughly before you attempt to retake the MI Permit Test.
After you pass your MI Permit Test, you will need to maintain your permit for 6 months, at minimum. If you are under 18, during this time, you will need to complete Segment 2 of your Driver's Educaiton course, and you will need to complete fifty hours of behind-the-wheel training. If you are 18 years old or older, you will need to maintain your instruction permit for thirty days before you are eligible to take the MI Driving Exam.
To give yourself the best chance of passing your MI Permit Test you should study all chapters and sections of the MI Driver's Manual. The exam will test your knowledge of speed limits, pavement markings, traffic signs, safety rules and more basic rules of the road.
You will need to bring with your proof of your identity, your U.S. citizenship, proof of your residency in Michigan and your Social Security Number. If you are younger than 18 years of age, you will need to also submit a green Michigan Department of State Segment 1 Certificate of Completion.
You should take your MI Permit Test at the Secretarty of State Office. You can find a list of available locations near you by visiting this website: http://services.sos.state.mi.us/servicelocator/branchofficelocator.aspx
To take the MI Permit Test, you must pay a $25 fee.
If you are under 18, your legal guardian or parent should accompany you.