Click here to ask your driving related question.
Frequently Asked Questions - Taking Your MT Permit Test
- How many questions do I have to answer correctly on the MT Permit Test to pass?
- Is the MT Permit Test open book?
- Do I have to take a drug test to be able to take my MT Permit Test?
- What happens if I fail my MT Permit Test?
- What happens after I pass my MT Permit Test?
- What documents do I need to bring with me when I take my MT Permit Test?
- Who do I need to bring with me when I go to take my MT Permit Test?
- How much does the MT Permit Test cost?
- What do I need to know to pass my MT Permit Test?
- At what age am I eligible to take the MT Permit Test?
The MT Permit Test consists of 33 multiple choice questions. You will need to answer 27 of those 33 questions correctly in order to pass.
No. You are not allowed to use your MT Driver's Manual or any other study material while you take your MT Permit Test.
No. You do not have to take or pass a drug test to be able to apply or receive an MT Driver's License.
There are a few reasons, test takers fail their MT Permit Test. A test taker who fails may not have studied thoroughly. Or he or she may have been nervous, anxious and/or distracted on the day of the test. If you fail your MT Permit Test, you will not receive your MT Learner's Permit, and you will need to retake the exam. You will be able to do so as early as the next day, however, do not rush retaking the exam. Take your time. Read the entire MT Driver's Manual again and answer test questions on our website [link] so that the next time you take the MT Permit Test you have the best chance of passing.
If you pass your MT Permit Test, you will receive your MT Learner's Permit. You will need to maintain your MT Permit for 6 months, at minimum. During this time, if you are under 18, you will need to achieve 50 hours of supervised driving practice.
On the day of your MT Permit Test, you will need to bring proof of your identity, your residency in Montana and your lawful presence in the United States. If you are under 18, you will also need a parent or legal guardian's consent.
If you are under 18, a parent or legal guardian should accompany you as they will need to give their consent.
The MT Permit Test cost $5.
To give yourself the best chance of passing your MT Permit Test, you should read the entire Manual. The Permit Test will test your knowledge of traffic safety laws, speed limits, traffic violations, road signs, and other topics that are covered in the MT Driver's Manual.
Montana allows applicants as young as 14 1/2, as long as the applicant is enrolled in a traffic education program that is approved by the state, to take the MT Driving Exam.