Click here to ask your driving related question.
Frequently Asked Questions - Taking Your NC Permit Test
- What happens when I pass my NC Permit Test?
- When am I able to retake my NC Permit Test?
- How many questions do I have to answer correctly on the NC Permit Test?
- What are common mistakes that applicants make on the NC Permit Test?
- What kind of questions should I expect on the NC Permit Test?
- Is the NC Permit Test an open book exam?
- Do I need to get a drug test before I am eligible to take my NC Permit Test?
- What happens if I fail my NC Permit Test?
- What documents do I need to take with me when I take my NC Permit Test?
- How much does a NC Permit Test cost?
- Do I need to bring anyone with me when I go to take my NC permit test?
- How many questions are on the NC Permit Test?
- When I am eligible to apply for my NC Permit Test?
- Do I need to schedule an appointment to take my NC Permit Test?
Once you have passed your NC Permit Test, you will pay your $15 fee and receive your NC Permit. You must wait at least a year before you can schedule your NC Driving Exam. If you are under 17, during this time, you must also complete 60 hours of behind the wheel training.
You may retake your NC Permit Test as early as the next business day.
You must answer 20 out of the 25 questions correctly.
The biggest and most important mistake to avoid is not studying. Reading the entire manual and studying thoroughly gives you the best chance of passing your NC Permit Test.
The NC Permit Test will test your knowledge of NC road rules and traffic signs.
No. You are not allowed to use your NC Driver's Manual or any other study materials during your NC Permit Test.
No. You do not have to take a drug test.
If you fail your NC Permit Test, you won't receive your permit, and you will have to retake your test.
On the day of your NC Permit test, you will need to bring with you two proofs of your identity, proof of your Social Security Number and proof of your residency in NC. If you are under 18 you must also provide Driving Eligibility Certificate or High School Diploma and a Driver's Education Certificate instead.
A NC Permit cost $15.00.
If are under 18, your parent or legal guardian should accompany you to your permit test.
There are 25 questions on the NC Permit Test.
In NC, you have to be at least 15 years old in order to get a learner's permit, and you must have completed your Driver's Education course.
No. You don't need an appointment. Visit your local NC DMV office for more information.