Click here to ask your driving related question.

Ask a driving related question on

What documents do I need to go to the DMV?

When you visit the local License Branch office of the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV), you will be asked for proof of identification, Social Security number and proof of Florida residence. You can submit any of the following documents:

Proof of Identification—U.S. Citizens
• An original or certified copy of a United States birth certificate including U.S. territories and the District of Columbia
• A valid United States passport or passport card
• Consular Report of Birth Abroad
• Certificate of Naturalization (Form N-550 or Form N-570)
• Certificate of Citizenship (Form N-560 or Form N-561)

Proof of Identification—Canadian Citizens
• Valid Canadian passport
• Original or certified copy of Canadian birth certificate
• Canadian Naturalization Certificate
• Canadian Certificate of Citizenship

Proof of Identification—Immigrants
• Valid Alien Registration card
• I-551 stamp in foreign passport or on I-94 documents
• Immigration Judges Order with customer’s A-number granting asylum
• I-797 with customer’s A-number stating the customer has been granted asylum
• I-797 or other form from the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services with customer’s A-number stating the customer has been granted Refugee status

Proof of Identification—Non-Immigrants (Must provide proof of Social Security number and two proofs of residential address)
• Employment authorization card issued by the United States Department of Homeland Security (Form I688B or I-766)
• Proof of non-immigrant classification provided by the United States Department of Homeland Security (Form I-94 with supporting documents)

Proof of Social Security Number
• An original Social Security card
• W-2 form with your Social Security number on it
• Paystub or paycheck with your Social Security number on it
• Any 1099 form with your Social Security number on it

You must bring a letter from the Social Security Administration (SSA) proving that you were never issued a Social Security number. You will also need to present at least one additional piece of identification from the list below:

1. Driver’s license from another state, the District of Columbia or U.S. territory
2. School record showing date of birth with registrar’s signature
3. Transcript of birth record filed by a public officer whose duty includes recording certificates
4. Baptism certificate showing date of birth and place of baptism
5. Family Bible record of birth announcement in baby book
6. An insurance policy on your life that has date of birth and has been in force for two years or more
7. United States military or military dependent identification card
8. An identification card from another state, the District of Columbia or U.S. territory
9. Florida identification or license record
10. Selective Service Registration (draft card)
11. Florida vehicle registration certificate
12. Receipt copy from last time you were issued a Florida driver’s license
13. Immigration form I-571
14. Military DD-214 record
15. Marriage certificate
16. Court order with full legal name
17. Florida Voter Registration Card issued at least three months prior
18. Parent consent form of minor signed by your parent or legal guardian
19. Government issued foreign passport, identification card or driver’s license
20. Concealed weapons permit

Proof of Florida Residency
• Mortgage statement, rental or lease agreement
• Florida Voter Registration Card
• Florida Vehicle Title or Registration
• Florida Boat Title or Registration
• Statement from parent, legal guardian or stepparent of applicant
• Utility hook-up work order dated within 60 days of application
• Automobile payment booklet
• Selective Service Card
• Medical or healthcare card with address
• Current homeowner insurance policy or bill
• Current auto insurance policy or bill
• Educational institution transcript form for current school year
• Unexpired professional license issued by a U.S. government agency
• W-2 or 1099 form
• Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) status (Form DS2019)
• Letter from a homeless shelter, halfway house or transitional service provider verifying customer resides at the address
• Utility bills (not more than 60 days old)
• Mail from city, county, state or federal government agency
• Florida Department Law Enforcement registration form completed by the local sheriff’s department