The Idaho DMV requires teen drivers to pass the following tests:
Written Knowledge Test
• The written knowledge test is required for new applicants or drivers who have let their Idaho driver’s license expire for more than one year. The exam will test your knowledge of Idaho traffic laws, highway signs by symbol and shape, traffic signals, pavement marking and equipment required on a motor vehicle.
• You must be able to pass the test with a minimum of 20/40 vision in at least one eye, with or without corrective lenses. If you wear glasses or contact lenses during the test, a lens restriction will be placed on your Idaho driver’s license. You are required to wear your glasses or contact lenses when operating a motor vehicle or you may be cited and lose your driving privileges for a period of time.
Skills Test (Required for the following applicants)
• You have never been licensed before
• You have completed driver’s training and the supervised instruction period
• Your license has been expired for one year or more
• You surrender a driver’s license issued by a foreign country (excluding Germany)
• Your most recent driver’s license was issued by a foreign country
• Your vision does not meet the minimum standards
• You have a physical or mental impairment that could affect your ability to safely operate a motor vehicle
• If the examiner has concerns about your ability to safely operate a motor vehicle (regardless of age, experience or prior license)