The State of Illinois has the following restrictions for permit holders:
24-Month Instruction Permit
• You may only drive when supervised by a parent or legal guardian who is 21 years or older and has had a valid driver’s license for more than one year.
• For the first 12 month or until reaching age 18, only one passenger under 20 is allowed in the vehicle unless they are a sibling, stepsibling, child or stepchild of the driver. After that the number of passengers is limited to one in the front seat and to the number of safety belts in the back seat.
• Everyone under the age of 19 must wear a seat belt at all times.
• You are not allowed to drive from Sunday to Thursday during the hours of 10 pm and 6 am and Friday and Saturday from 11 pm to 6 am (local curfews may be different).
• You must not acquire any driving convictions during the nine-month permit period.
12-Month Instruction Permit
• You may only drive when supervised by an adult who has an equal or greater driver’s license classification and has had a valid license for more than one year.
All drivers under 19 are prohibited from using a wireless device or cell phone while driving except in an emergency to contact law enforcement, emergency services agency or healthcare provider.