The State of Minnesota has a Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL) program and the following requirements must be met to qualify for an Instruction Permit:
Instruction Permit—Phase I
• You must be at least 15 years old.
• You must have already completed a minimum of 30 hours of classroom instruction in a driver’s education program.
• You must currently be enrolled in a behind-the-wheel driving course.
• You must have approval from a parent or legal guardian.
• You must pass a vision and written test.
• You must pay the fee of $10.25
Instruction Permit—Phase II
• You must be at least 16 years old.
• You must complete a driver’s education program.
• You must pass the road test.
• You must have held an instruction permit for at least six months without any drug or alcohol violations.
• You must complete an application for a Provisional License.
• You must pay the fee of $13.25.