The Mississippi driver’s education course must consist of the following:
1. 30 hours of classroom instruction
2. 6 hours of behind-the-wheel training or an equivalent may be achieved by doing one of the following:
• Actual 6 hours of behind-the-wheel training, or
• 12 hours of classroom instruction in a Mississippi state-approved simulator and 3 hours of behind-the-wheel training
• Any type of combination involving multi-car driving range instruction and simulation instruction and a minimum of two hours of on-street driving.
3. Instruction in a state-approved simulator (when not counted as classroom time) can be substituted for behind-the-wheel training at a 4 to 1 ratio not to exceed three hours substitution.
4. 12 hours in any approved simulator may count as classroom time when it is not substituted for part of the 6 hours of behind-the-wheel training.
5. Multi-car driving range training may be counted at a ratio of 2 to 1 when substituted for on-street driving.
6. A minimum of two hours on-street driving may be required regardless of the combination of simulation, range and on-street driving.
7. Training time on a multi-car driving range can be substituted for on-street driving time (this must receive prior approval from the Mississippi Department of Education).
8. One-half unit credit can be given provided the course meets the minimum hours required and covers a full semester.
9. Items 1 through 7 must receive prior approval from the Mississippi Department of Education.