The State of Montana has the following restrictions:
Traffic Education Learner’s License (TELL)
• You must be supervised by a licensed parent or legal guardian while completing 50 hours of driving, including ten hours at night.
• You must not have any traffic violations for a drug or alcohol offense in the six months prior to applying for a First-Year Restricted License.
First-Year Restricted License
• You may not drive between the hours of 11 pm and 5 am unless:
1. You are driving to or from school
2. You are driving to or from church
3. You are driving to of from your place of employment
4. You are driving to or from a farm-related activity
5. You are driving due to an emergency
Law enforcement officials may contact your parent or guardian to verify the purpose of driving between 11 pm and 5 am.
First Six Months
• You may only have one unrelated passenger under the age of 18 in your vehicle unless supervised by a licensed driver who is 18 or older.
Second Six Months
• You may only have three unrelated passengers in your vehicle unless supervised by a licensed driver who is 18 or older.
First Offense Penalty Violation
• You will be required to perform between 20 to 60 hours of community service.
Second Offense Penalty Violation
• Your license will be suspended for a period of six months.