The State of New Hampshire requires drivers to pass the following tests:
Computer-Based Knowledge Test
• The written knowledge test consists of 40 multiple-choice questions and you will have 40 minutes to complete the test. Each question is displayed on a touch-screen computer monitor. You must choose an answer by touching the letter that corresponds to your choice. If you miss more than eight questions, the test will automatically terminate. You can request an appointment to retake the test no sooner than ten days from the current date. Automated oral testing with headphones is available for people who do not read English.
• You must be able to pass the vision test with an acuity of 20/40 in both eyes or 20/30 in one eye if the other eye is blind. If you fail the test, you must have your eyes examined by an eye-care specialist to determine if your vision can be corrected. Drivers with an acuity of 20/70 in the better eye will be issued a license to drive during daylight hours only.
• The Licensing Examiner will test you on the following:
1. Your skill in handing the vehicle in traffic
2. Driving habits
3. Working knowledge and understanding of traffic signs and rules of the road
4. How well you physically, mentally and emotionally handle the actual stress of driving in traffic
5. Attitude toward driving and personal and public safety
If you fail the road test, a retest will be scheduled at the convenience of the DMV.