Click here to ask your driving related question.

Ask a driving related question on

Arizona Teen Driver

What restrictions if any are there for new drivers?

Anyone between the ages of 16 and 18 who has a valid Class G Arizona driver’s license must abide by the following restrictions for the first six months. These include:

Passenger Restrictions—You cannot operate a motor vehicle on a public highway with more than one passenger under the age of 18 unless they are one of your siblings or a parent or legal guardian accompanies you at the time.

Hours of Operation—You are not allowed to operate a motor vehicle between the hours of 12:00 and 5:00 am. The following exceptions apply to this rule:

• You are accompanied by an individual who is at least 21 years old and holds a valid license to drive the type or class of motor vehicle being driven.

• You are driving to or from your place of employment.

• You are driving to or from a school-sponsored event.

• You are driving to or from a religious event.

• You are driving due to a family emergency.

What is the cost of a driver’s license?

The State of Arizona charges the following fees for a driver’s license, which is based upon the person’s age:

• Age 16 to 39—$25.00
• Age 40 to 44—$20.00
• Age 45 to 49—$15.00
• Age 50 and above—$10.00

What driver’s education is required?

Once you have obtained your instruction permit, you are eligible to take a professional driver’s education course. These programs will help you to obtain a better understanding about the rules of the road and learn how to operate a motor vehicle safely. You can choose to forego formal training and practice driving with a licensed driver who is at least 21 years old. You must complete a minimum of 30 hours and 10 of these must be completed at night

What documents must I fill out at the DMV to get my permit/driver’s license?

If you are under the age of 18, the application for an instruction permit or driver’s license must be signed by at least one of the following adults:

• One biological parent if they are married to the other biological parent
• Both biological parents if they are not married to one another but have joint custody
• One biological parent if he or she has sole custody

If neither parent is living, the application must be signed by one of the following:

• A legal guardian
• A foster parent
• The minor’s employer

All signatures must be witnessed by either an Arizona MVD agent or a notary public. The applicant must provide legal proof that his or her parents are deceased.

What documents do I need to go to the DMV?

The Arizona MVD requires you to provide two types of documents and one must contain a photo identification or you can submit three documents with no photo. All documents must be an original or a certified copy. Primary documents include the following:

• Birth certificate issued by a U.S. state or territory
• U.S. certificate of birth abroad
• An instruction permit or driver’s license that was issued in another state
• A United States passport or passport card
• A foreign passport with U.S. Visa or Visa Waiver
• Permanent resident card or resident alien card
• U.S. Certificate of Citizenship
• U.S. Certificate of Naturalization
• United States military card (active duty, reserve or retired) or U.S. military DD-214
• An Arizona identification card
• Tribal Certificate of Indian Blood
• Tribal or Bureau of Indian Affairs Affidavit of Birth

Secondary forms of identification are not required to include date of birth. These include the following:

• A driver’s license, instruction permit or identification card issued by another state or U.S. territory
• U.S. military dependent identification card
• U.S. Armed Forces driver’s license
• U.S. Department of Veteran’s Affairs card
• W-2 form
• Concealed weapons permit
• Professional license
• Social Security card
• School identification with photo
• Employee identification bade with photo
• Bank or credit card
• Marriage certificated issued by another state or U.S. territory
• Certified letter of identification for a ward of the court issued by a court or U.S. government agency

What do I need before I can get my permit?

When you apply for your learner’s instruction permit, the State of Arizona requires you to do the following:

• Provide proof of identification
• Provide proof of date of birth
• Pay an application fee of $7.00 for taking the written examination

The application fee of $7.00 allows you three attempts to pass the written examination within a 12-month period.

What tests must I pass?

Anyone who wants to obtain an Arizona instruction permit must be able to do the following:

• Pass a medical examination
• Pass a vision screening examination
• Pass a written test

The Arizona Motor Vehicle Department (MVD) requires all applicants to pass a written test covering the motor vehicle laws, traffic signs and safe driving techniques. You must score at least 80 percent to be eligible for an instruction permit.

What are the insurance requirements?

The State of Arizona requires all motor vehicles to carry liability insurance in the following amounts:

• $10,000 for property damage
• $15,000 for bodily injury for one person
• $30,000 for bodily injury for two or more people

This includes motorcycles, golf carts and mopeds and every driver must carry proof of insurance at all times. If you fail to maintain proper insurance, the Arizona MVD can suspend your driver’s license or the vehicle’s registration.

Syndicate content