Click here to ask your driving related question.
Frequently Asked Questions - Taking Your SD Permit Test
- Is the SD Permit Test open book?
- Do I have to take a drug test to be able to take my SD Permit Test?
- What happens if I fail my SD Permit Test?
- What happens after I pass my SD Permit Test?
- What do I need to know to pass my SD Permit Test?
- How many questions do I have to answer correctly on the SD Permit Test to pass?
- At what age am I eligible to take the SD Permit Test?
- What documents do I need to bring with me when I take my SD Permit Test?
- Who do I need to bring with me when I go to take my SD Permit Test?
No. You are not allowed to use your SD Driver's Manual or any other study material while you take your SD Permit Test.
No. You do not have to take or pass a drug test to be able to apply or receive an SD Driver's License.
There are a few reasons, test takers fail their SD Permit Test. A test taker who fails may not have studied thoroughly. Or he or she may have been nervous, anxious and/or distracted on the day of the test. If you fail your SD Permit Test, you will not receive your SD Learner's Permit, and you will need to retake the exam. You will be able to do so as early as the next business day, however, do not rush retaking the exam. Take your time. Read the entire SD Driver's Manual again and answer test questions on our website [link] so that the next time you take the SD Permit Test you have the best chance of passing.
If you pass your SD Permit Test, you will receive your SD Learner's Permit. If you are over 18, you are eligible to apply for your SD Driving Exam as soon as possible. If you are under 18, you will need to maintain your permit for 180 days (90 days if you complete a state-approved Driver's Education course.)
To give yourself the best chance of passing your SD Permit Test, you should read the entire Manual. The Permit Test will test your knowledge of traffic safety laws, speed limits, traffic violations, road signs, and other topics that are covered in the SD Driver's Manual.
The SD Permit Test consists of 25 multiple choice questions. You will need to answer 20 of those 25 questions correctly in order to pass.
In South Dakota, the minimum age requirement is 14 years old.
On the day of your SD Permit Test, you will need to bring proof of your identity and date of birth, two documents that prove your residency in South Dakota and your Social Security Number.
If you are under 18, a parent or legal guardian should accompany you as they will need to sign your application.