Click here to ask your driving related question.

Ask a driving related question on

What documents do I need to go to the DMV?

The Nevada DMV requires all applicants to provide proof of full legal name, date of birth and Social Security number by submitting the following documents:

Full Legal Name and Date of Birth (United States Citizen)
• State issued Birth Certificate (original or certified copy)
• United States Passport (Valid or expired less than one year)
• United States Military Identification
• Original Report of Separation from the Military (DD-214)
• United States Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood

Full Legal Name and Date of Birth (Non-U.S. Citizen)
• Certificate of Naturalization
• Certificate of Citizenship
• Permanent Resident Card
• Temporary Resident Card
• Consular Report of Birth Abroad
• United States Passport
• Resident Alien Card or I-551 Receipt
• Valid Foreign Passport stamped “Processed for I-551”
• Arrival/Departure Record (I-94) with Visa or Passport
• Permit to Re-enter the United States
• Refugee Travel Documents

Documents Not Accepted as Proof of Legal Name and Age
• Hospital-issued Birth Certificate
• Driver’s license or identification card from another U.S. State, U.S. Territory or foreign country
• Foreign Birth Certificate
• Border Crossing Cards
• Consular Identification Cards

Evidence of Social Security Number (All documents must be originals)
• Social Security Card
• W-2, 1099, 1099a, federal income tax return or other IRS correspondence with number listed
• Paystub with number listed or other employment records
• United States Military Identification with number listed
• United States Military DD-214 Report of Separation
• United States Veteran Identification Card
• Evidence of no Social Security Number (Form SSA L676)

Proof of Nevada Residence (Two forms are required)
• Certification of Nevada residency (Form DMV-005). This form must be signed by a parent or legal guardian for any applicant under 18. The parent or guardian must reside at the same address as the minor applicant.
• Property tax record, utility bills, mortgage document or deed, rent receipts, lease or rental agreement
• Enrollment records, student identification card which residential address or other documentation indicating enrollment at an educational institution in Nevada
• Motel, hotel, campground or recreational vehicle park receipts showing residency for 30 consecutive days
• Credit card statement, medical bills, cellular telephone bill or other statement or request for payment mailed to the residential address dated within the previous 60 days
• Statement from relief agency or shelter indicating no actual residence but currently receive assistance in Nevada
• Voter registration card issued by the Nevada Secretary of State with residential address
• Bank or credit union statement showing current account in Nevada (Account must have been opened for at least 30 days)
• Military Leave and Earnings Statement (LES) as evidence of Nevada residency when deployed outside of Nevada
• Document showing receipt of public assistance from an agency of the State of Nevada
• Notarized statement from a property owner that you are living with them on their property without a rental or lease agreement

Name Change Documents (Must be an original or certified copy)
• Marriage Certificate
• Divorce Decree
• Adoption Records
• Court Order

Active duty military members and their dependents are not required to transfer either their driver’s license or vehicle registration. Licenses are not issued to tourists, out-of-state students or foreign-exchange students. The Nevada Central Issuance program handles all licenses and permits and they are sent from a separate and secure facility. The DMV will issue a paper interim document that is valid for 30 days or until you receive your instruction permit or license. The interim document is not valid for identification, so you must carry another form of identification while waiting for your official permit or license.