The South Dakota Department of Public Safety has the following requirements for obtaining an Instruction Permit:
• You must be at least 14 years old.
• Your parent or guardian must sign the application if you are under 18 years old.
• You must be able to pass a written knowledge test and vision test.
• You must pay the Instruction Permit fee of $8 in cash or personal check.
The Instruction permit is valid for one year from the date it was issued.
Restricted Minor’s Permit
• You must be between 14 and 18 years old.
• You must have held an Instruction Permit for at least six months or three months if you have completed an approved driver education course.
• You must not have had any traffic violations within the last six months.
• You must be able to pass the driver’s license road test.
The Restricted Minor’s Permit can be changed to an Operator’s License once you turn 16, providing that you have not had any traffic violations within the last six months. The Restricted Minor’s Permit is valid for five years and will automatically convert to an Operator’s License when you turn 18.