Click here to ask your driving related question.

Ask a driving related question on

What documents must I fill out at the DMV to get my permit/driver’s license?

When applying for an instruction permit or driver’s license, you will need to do the following:

• Fill out the Driver License Application form. Your parent or guardian must co-sign the form if you are under 18.

• Fill out the “Consent for Use of South Dakota Address” form if you are living with another person. That person must sign the form and present two residency documents.

• If you travel full-time and are using a South Dakota mail forwarding address, fill out the “Residency Affidavit” and submit one document verifying the temporary South Dakota address.

• You must pay the appropriate fee with cash or personal check only. Credit and debit cards are not accepted.