Click here to ask your driving related question.

Ask a driving related question on

What documents do I need to go to the DMV?

The Tennessee Department of Safety & Homeland Security requires applicants to provide proof of citizenship, legal presence, identity and residency by submitting the following documents (no photocopies will be accepted):

Proof of U.S. Citizenship, Lawful Permanent Resident Status or Legal Presence in the U.S.
• Official birth certificate issued by a U.S. state, jurisdiction or U.S. territory (American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rick, Swain’s Island or U.S. Virgin Islands) (Puerto Rican birth certificates issued before July 1, 2010 will not be accepted.)
• U.S. government-issued certified birth certificate
• U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad (DS-1350 or FS-545
• Report of Birth Abroad of a citizen of the U.S. (FS-240)
• Valid unexpired U.S. passport
• Certificate of Citizenship (N-560 or N-561)
• Certificate of Naturalization (N-550, N-570 or N-578)
• U.S. Citizen Identification Card (I-197 or I-179)

Proof of Lawful Resident Status
• Permanent Resident Alien Card (I-551)
• Foreign passport stamped by the U.S. government “Processed for I-551”
• Permanent resident Re-entry Permit (I-327)
• Arrival and Departure form I-94 with “Temporary I-551” stamp with passport holder’s photo affixed
• Travel Document issued to Permanent Residents (I-327)
• Travel Document issued to Refugees (I-571)
• Form I-94 stamped with: Asylee, Parolee or Parole, Refugee, Asylum, HP Humanitarian Parolee or PIP Public Interest Parolee

Proof of Identity
Primary Identification (Must be original or certified copy with full name and date of birth)
• U.S. driver license, learner permit, or identification card with photo, license from another country or U.S. Department of State driver’s license (Puerto Rican birth certificates issued before July 1, 2010 will not be accepted.)
• Original or certified birth certificate with official seal issued by an authorized government agency such as the State Board of Health or the Bureau of Vital Statistics (Hospital-issued certificates are not acceptable)
• Foreign birth certificate not issued in English must be translated and accompanied by a Certificate of Accurate Translation
• Marriage license or certificate with full name and date of birth (Must be original or certified copy registered after the marriage)
• Federal census record with full name and date of birth
• Applicant’s own child’s birth certificate (Must include the applicant’s full name and date of birth, not just the age of the parent at the time of the child’s birth)
• Adoption decree with full name and date of birth
• Court decree for legal change of name with judge’s original signature or and/or official court seal
• Confirmation of date of birth as recorded in court document with judge’s original signature and/or official court seal

United States Citizenship & Immigration Service (USCIS) Documentation
• Military identification active duty, retiree or reservist (DD Form 2 or 2A)
• Military discharge papers (DD-214)
• Military dependent identification card (spouse or children of active military personnel)
• Certificate of Naturalization (N-550, N-570, N-578)
• Certificate of Citizenship (N-560, N-561, N-645)
• Employment Authorization card (I-766)
• Northern Mariana Card
• American Department of Indian Affairs Tribal Card
• U.S. Citizen Identification Card (I-179, I-197)
• Temporary Resident Identification Card (I-688)
• Travel Documents Record of Arrival and Departure (I-94)
• Border Crossing Identification (I-586)
• Nonimmigrant Visa/Border Crossing Card (DSP-150)
• U.S. Re-entry Permit (I-327)
• Refugee I-94 Record of Arrival and Departure stamped "Refugee”
• Refugee Travel Document (I-571)
• Canadian Immigration Record and Visa or Record of Landing (IMM 100)
• Canadian Department of Indian Affairs issued identification card

Proof of Identity
Secondary Identification
• Computerized check stub (Must include full name pre-printed on the stub)
• Union membership card (Must include full name with photo and/or Social Security number
• Employer issued identification with photo and/or Social Security number
• Computer printout of bank statement, saving account statement or loan documents
• Social Security card (Must be original)
• Printout or benefits statements from Social Security Administration
• Social Security check or verification of Social Security check by direct deposit
• Health insurance card, health insurance policy or payment statements
• Medicaid, Medicare or TennCare health insurance card
• IRS or state tax forms, W-2 forms, property tax receipts
• United States or foreign military records
• Selective Service cards, military leave and earnings statement, military assignment orders
• School records or transcript of grades
• High school diploma or GED
• Elementary immunization records
• Vehicle title or vehicle registration
• Vehicle bill or sale or vehicle purchase contract

Proof of Tennessee Residency—List A
(Must submit two documents with full name and resident address, no P.O. boxes)
• Current utility bill (electric, water, gas, cable or telephone landline) (wireless bills cannot be accepted)
• Current bank statement (Internet bank statements will be accepted if stamped and dated by local bank teller as an active account.)
• Current mortgage or rental contract or receipt for deed of sale of property
• Current employer verification of residence address or a letter from employer on company letterhead with original signature (If employer s not have letterhead, signature of employer must be notarized)
• Current paycheck, check stub, employment identification or badge if address is included
• Current auto, life or health insurance policy (wallet cards cannot be accepted)
• Current driver license or identification issued by the Tennessee Department of Safety to the parent, legal guardian or spouse of applicant
• Current Tennessee motor vehicle registration or title
• Current Tennessee voter registration
• Current IRS tax reporting W-2 form within last 12 months
• Receipt for personal property or real estate taxes paid within past year
• Photo student identification and acceptable documentation from the Dean or Bursar office stating that the student lives on campus

Proof of Tennessee Residency—List B
(Must submit one document from List A and one document from List B with full name and resident address, no P.O. boxes)
• Individual Taxpayer Identification Number issued by the IRS
• Form I-94 issued by the United States Citizenship & Immigration Service
• Employment Authorization Card issued by the United States Citizenship & Immigration Service (I-766)
• I-551 issued by the United States Citizenship & Immigration Service

All documents must be current and dated within the past four months. Documents from the Internal Revenue Service must be from the current tax year. Both documents may not be from the same source, i.e. gas and water bill from the same utility company.