Click here to ask your driving related question.

Ask a driving related question on

What documents do I need to go to the DMV?

The DMV requires all applicants to provide proof of their birth date and legal presence by presenting one of the following documents:

• United States birth certificate
• United States passport
• United States Certificate or Report of Birth Abroad (must be issued by the U.S. Dept. of State)
• Proof of Indian Blood Degree (must be issued by the U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs)
• American Indian Card issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS)
• Passport or birth certificate issued by a United States territory
• United States identification card*
• United States military identification card
• Common access card if designated as active duty military, active reserve or active selected reserve
• Certificate of Naturalization*
• Certificate of Citizenship*
• Northern Mariana card*
• Permanent resident card*
• Temporary resident identification card*
• Canadian birth certificate or passport
• Non-resident alien Canadian border crossing card*
• Valid foreign passport with I-94 form*
• Certification from California Youth Authority or California Department of Corrections
• Employment authorization card*
• Valid foreign passport stamped with “Processed for I-551”*
• Permanent resident reentry permit*
• Valid I-94 form stamped with “refugee” “asylee”, “parole or parolee” or Section 207, 207, 209, 212d(2), HP or PIP*
• Notice of action (I-797 approved petition)*
• Immigration order from judge granting asylum
• Mexican border crossing card with valid I-94 form*
• Certified judgment or court order issued by a court of competent jurisdiction with name, date and place of birth, status of legal presence and signature of the judge.

Note: All of the above documents marked with an asterisk (*) must be issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).