Click here to ask your driving related question.

Ask a driving related question on

What documents do I need to go to the DMV?

When applying for a permit, the DMV requires all applicants to have a parent or legal guardian with them or provide a notarized consent form (Form 2-D). Legal guardians are required to show a certificate of legal guardianship. To obtain a learner’s permit or driver’s license, you must provide original or certified copies that prove identity, Social Security number, Connecticut residency, legal presence in the United States and name change documents if applicable. Two forms of identification are required and one must be from the primary list.

Primary List
• United States birth certificate or registration of birth (government and hospital issued are not acceptable)
• United States passport or passport card
• Foreign passport with a United States Visa and I-94 form
• Certificate of Naturalization
• Certificate of Citizenship
• Permanent Resident Card
• Consular Report of Birth Abroad

Secondary List
• Driver’s license with photo issued by another state, a United States territory or Canada (must be surrendered)
• United States or Canadian issued learner’s permit with photo (must be surrendered)
• Connecticut non-driver identification card (must be surrendered)
• Military identification or dependent card with photo
• Connecticut firearm or pistol permit
• Military discharge papers (DD-214)
• Court order containing full name and date of birth if name has changed due to adoption, marriage or divorce
• Marriage license or Civil Union Certificate (certified copy issued by the town or city)
• Pilot’s license (issued by the United States Department of Transportation Federal Aviation Administration)
• School transcript or record (must be certified and school photo identification is not acceptable)
• Social Security card (metal or laminated cards are not acceptable)
• Connecticut State Department of Social Services public assistance card with photo
• Connecticut Department of Corrections (DOC) original certificate of identification (not available from the DOC unless issued when discharged)
• State or federal employee identification with photo, signature and/or physical description with or without date of birth

Legal Presence (Must be verified by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
• I-551 visa stamp in foreign passport
• Resident Alien card or Alien Registration
• Temporary Resident card
• Employment Authorization card
• Refugee Travel document
• B1/B2 Visa with Employment Authorization Card and verified Adjustment of Status Application
• F1 Visa with I-20 or Employment Authorization Card
• J1 Visa with DS-2019 document

Connecticut Residency (Must show your name, address, be computer-generated and dated within 90 days)
• Bank statement or transaction receipt with bank name and mailing address
• Pre-printed pay stub with employer’s name and address
• W-2 form, property or excise tax bill, Social Security Administration (SSA) or other pension or retirement annual benefits summary statement (dated within the last year)
• Medicare or Medicaid benefit statement
• Current homeowner’s, renter’s or motor vehicle insurance police (dated within the last year)
• Current motor vehicle loan statement (motor vehicle must be registered in your name)
• Residential mortgage, rental or lease contract (dated within the last year)
• First-class mail
• Connecticut voter registration card
• Change of address confirmation from the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) showing your prior and current address (Form CNL107)
• Survey of your Connecticut property (must be issued by a licensed surveyor)
• Connecticut handgun permit
• Official school records showing enrollment

The parents or legal guardian may provide any two residency documents that are addressed to the parents residing at the same address to prove residency of the minor.