Click here to ask your driving related question.

Ask a driving related question on

What documents do I need to go to the DMV?

The DMV requires all applicants to provide proof of full legal name, date of birth, citizenship or legal presence in the United States by submitting one of the following documents:

Legal Presence Documents
• An original or certified copy of a United States birth certificate issued by the Office of Vital Statistics or State Board of Health. The certificate must include the names of the birth parents if you are under 18.
• Consular report of birth abroad
• Certificate of Naturalization (N-550, N-570m or N-578)
• Certificate of Citizenship (N-560, N-561 or N-645)
• Northern Mariana Card (I-551)
• American Indian Card (I-551)
• Valid U.S. passport or foreign passport with the appropriate INS documents.
• Resident Alien Card (I-515, I-551, AR-3 or AR-103)
• Temporary Resident Identification Card (K-688)
• Non-Resident Alien Canadian Border Crossing Card (I-185 or I-586)
• Record of Arrival and Departure in valid foreign passport, I-94 or I-94 visa waiver program
• Record of Arrival and Department with attached photo stamped “Temporary Proof of Lawful Permanent Resident” (I-94)
• Refugee Travel Document (I-571)
• Employment Authorization Card (I-688A, I-688B or I-766)
• Canadian Immigration Record and Visa of Record of Landing (IMM-1000)
• Federally Compliant State issued driver’s license*
• Federally Compliant State/Territory/Province issued photo identification card*
• Court order containing full name, date of birth along with court seal* **
• State issued driver’s license with photo * **
• Certified copy/microfilm of driver’s license or identification card * **
• Official letter issued by the Office of Vital Statistics verifying full name and date of birth * **
• Certified school transcripts or records verifying full name and date of birth * **

Proof of Social Security Number (Provide one of the following documents)
• Social Security card
• Letter from the Social Security Administration (SSA) verifying Social Security number
• Ineligibility letter from the SSA **

Delaware Residency (Provide two of the following documents)
• Utility bill
• Credit card statement
• Auto of life insurance policy
• Voter Registration card
• Bank account records
• Employment records
• Rental agreements
• United States Postal Service change of address confirmation postmarked with forwarding address label
• Non-personal mail postmarked within the past 60 days

Legal Name Change (Provide all of the following documents)
• Valid marriage license issued by a government agency with raised seal.
• Court-ordered name change document
• Final divorce decree with your legal name

* Must be accompanied by a United States citizenship document or valid proof of legal presence in the U.S.

** Not acceptable documentation to be eligible for a federally compliant identification document. Applicants may be eligible for a non-compliant identification document.