Click here to ask your driving related question.
Frequently Asked Questions - Taking Your NM Permit Test
- Do I have to take a drug test to be able to take my NM Permit Test?
- What happens if I fail my NM Permit Test?
- What happens after I pass my NM Permit Test?
- What do I need to know to pass my NM Permit Test?
- How many questions do I have to answer correctly on the NM Permit Test to pass?
- Is the NM Permit Test open book?
- What documents do I need to bring with me when I take my NM Permit Test?
- Who do I need to bring with me when I go to take my NM Permit Test?
- At what age am I eligible to take the NM Permit Test?
No. You do not have to take or pass a drug test to be able to apply or receive an NM Driver's License.
There are a few reasons, test takers fail their NM Permit Test. A test taker who fails may not have studied thoroughly. Or he or she may have been nervous, anxious and/or distracted on the day of the test. If you fail your NM Permit Test, you will not receive your NM Learner's Permit, and you will need to retake the exam. The MVD officials will tell you when you can retake the NM Permit Test.
If you pass your NM Permit Test, you will receive your NM Learner's Permit. You will need to maintain your NM Permit for 6 months before you can take your NM Driving Exam. If you are under 18, during this time, you will need to pass a Driver's Education course, which is approved by the state of New Mexico, and you will need to complete 50 hours of driving practice. If you are between the ages of 18 and 24, you will need to pass a DWI component, which is also approved by the state.
To give yourself the best chance of passing your NM Permit Test, you should read the entire Manual. The NM Permit Test will test your knowledge of traffic safety laws, speed limits, traffic violations, drinking and driving laws, traffic signs, pavement markings and other topics that are covered in the NM Driver's Manual.
The NM Permit Test consists of 25 multiple choice questions. You will need to answer 18 of those 25 questions correctly in order to pass.
No. You are not allowed to use your NM Driver's Manual or any other study material while you take your NM Permit Test.
On the day of your NM Permit Test, you will need to bring proof of your identity, proof of your Social Security Number and two documents that prove your residency in New Mexico. Your parents will need to sign your application as well.
If you are under 18, a parent or legal guardian should accompany you.
In NM, the minimum age requirement is 15 years old.