In the State of Illinois you are eligible to obtain an Instruction Permit if you meet the following requirements:
24-Month Instruction Permit
• You must be between the ages of 15 and 17 years old.
• You must be enrolled in an approved driver’s education course.
• You have never been licensed to operate a motor vehicle.
• You are a new resident who has been licensed in another state, but your license has been expired for more than six months.
• You must have the consent of your parent or legal guardian.
12-Month Instruction Permit
• You are at least 17 years and 3 months old.
• You can pass the knowledge and vision test.
If you meet all of the above requirements, you will be issued an instruction permit after paying the $20 fee.