The Indiana BMV requires applicants to pass the following tests when applying for a learner’s permit or driver’s license:
• The knowledge exam is based upon information that can be found in the Indiana driver’s manual. To pass the test you must have a basic understanding of the traffic laws in Indiana and be knowledgeable about safe driving techniques. You must receive a score of at least 80 percent on the 24 multiple-choice questions and only miss two questions on the 16-question road sign test to pass.
If you fail the written knowledge examination, you must wait one business day before retaking the test.
Vision Screening Test
• You must be able to pass the test with a vision of 20/20 to 20/40 in both eyes or the following restrictions will apply:
o A Restriction—The driver is required to wear glasses or corrective lenses when driving.
o B Restriction—The driver is required to use outside rearview mirrors when driving.
o C Restriction—The driver can only drive during daylight hours.
Vision and Restrictions
• One eye 20/20 to 20/40 and other eye 20-50 to blind—B restriction
• One eye 20/20 to 20/40 and other eye 20/50 with glasses—A and B restrictions
• Both eyes 20/50—A restriction
• One eye 20/50 and other eye 20/70 to blind—A, B and C restrictions
• Both eyes 20/70—A, B and C restrictions
Driving Skills Test
• If you have a learner’s permit and are enrolled in an approved driver’s education program, you can take the driving skill test when applying for a probationary driver’s license. The test will cover the following skills:
o Driving in the proper lane and signaling before changing lanes
o Distance between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you to avoid an accident
o Maintaining speed while being passed by another vehicle and allowing enough room for the other vehicle to pass safely
o Defensive driving habits
o Observing the flow of traffic
o Approaching intersections at the proper speed and coming to a complete stop
o Parallel parking
o Backing out of parking spaces
If you fail the driving skills test, you must wait 14 days before taking another test.