The State of Maryland has a graduated licensing system known as the “Rookie Driver Program”. The first step is to obtain a learner’s permit by meeting the following requirements:
Type One Permit
• You must be at least 15 years and 9 months old.
• If you are under 16, you must submit a Learner’s Permit School Attendance Certification form.
• If you are under 18, you must have a parent or legal guardian sign the application.
• You must submit proof of identity, age, lawful presence, Maryland residency and Social Security number or proof of ineligibility.
• You must be able to pass both the written knowledge and vision-screening tests.
Type Two Permit (For applicants who already have a license and are applying for a different type or class of license)
• You must be at least at least 16 years and 1 month old.
• You must hold the permit for at least 14 days.
• If you are under 18, your parent or legal guardian must sign the application.
Type One permits are valid for two years and Type Two permits are valid for six months from the date they were issued.