Click here to ask your driving related question.

Ask a driving related question on

What documents do I need to go to the DMV?

When applying for a license at an SOS branch office, you will be required to submit proof of identification, legal presence in the United States, Michigan residency and give a valid Social Security number or provide proof of ineligibility. Outlined below is a list of the required documents:

Social Security Number or Letter of Ineligibility (Present one of the following documents)
• Social Security card or other Social Security Administration (SSA) document containing full name and Social Security number
• W-2 or 1099 form
• Paystub containing full name and Social Security number
• United States military identification card with photo and Social Security number (DD-2, DD-1173 or CAC card)
• Letter of ineligibility from the SSA (not more than 30 days old)

You may be required to correct information with the SSA before a driver’s license application can be processed. If your current legal name is different from the name on your birth certificate or legal presence document, you must show legal proof of the name change by submitting a court order, marriage certificate or divorce decree.

Legal Presence (Certain documents will be subject to verification through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements System (SAVE)
• Certified birth certificate with raised seal issued by a United States government office
• Valid unexpired United States passport or passport card
• Certificate of Citizenship (N-560 or N-561)
• Certificate of Naturalization (N-550, N-570 or N578)
• Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the United States Department of State
• Valid foreign passport in applicant’s name with English subtitles or translation with United States visa and stamped I-94
• Valid Permanent Resident Card (I-551)
• Valid Employment Authorization Card (I-688, I-688A, I-688B or I-766)
• Valid Refugee Travel Document (I-571) with stamped I-94
• Approved U.S. Department of Labor certification with valid foreign passport in applicant’s name with English subtitles or translation with United States visa and stamped I-94
• United States Customs and Immigration Services (USCIS) documents expired less than one year may be submitted if accompanied by an I-797

Identity Verification (Must be original documents and more than one document may be required)
• Out of state or Canadian driver’s license or identification card (expired less than one year)
• Marriage license issued in the United States
• Divorce decree issued in the United States
• United States court order for name change
• Photo identification card issued by a federal or Michigan government agency
• United States military identification card with photo (DD-2, DD-1173 or CAC card)
• United States military discharge or separation documents (DD-214)
• Tribal photo identification card from a federally recognized Native American tribe
• Michigan Department of Corrections prisoner identification card (document requires verification)
• Michigan driver’s education certificate (applicants who are 18 or younger)
• Michigan adoption record
• United States school records, school identification cards with name and photo, diplomas, transcripts or yearbooks
• A second document from the Legal Presence group may also be acceptable
• Foreign passport, I-94, Employment Authorization Card, Refugee Travel Document or United States visa

A parent or legal guardian may sign for an applicant under age 18 by presenting their driver’s license or identification card.

Proof of Michigan Residence (present at least two documents with name and Michigan residential address)
• Utility or credit card bill issued within the past 90 days (electronic copies are acceptable)
• Account statement from a bank or another financial institution (issued within the past 90 days)
• Michigan high school, college or university report cards or transcripts
• Mortgage, lease or rental agreement (must include the landlord’s telephone number)
• Paystub or earnings statements issued with the name and address of employer
• Life, auto, health or home insurance policy
• Local, state or federal government documents (receipts, licenses or assessments)
• Michigan title and registration (must show current residential address)
• Other documents containing applicant’s name and address may be accepted with manager approval

Post office boxes are not acceptable as a residential address.