The State of Massachusetts requires drivers to certify that they do not have a mental, physical of visual condition that might affect their ability to drive safely. All drivers must pass the following tests:
Written Knowledge Test
• The written knowledge test is to determine how well you know the Michigan traffic laws and understand safe driving practices. You must correctly answer 20 out of the 25 multiple-choice questions.
Vision Screening Exam
• An unrestricted license will be issued to applicants with a visual acuity of 20/40 and a peripheral vision of 140 degrees.
• A restricted license will be issued to drivers who need corrective lenses to pass the test.
• A “Daylight Only” restricted license may be issued to drivers if their visual acuity is between 20/50 and 20/70.
Driving Skills Test
A driving skills test is required for the following individuals:
• You are applying for a Level 2 License under the Michigan GDL program.
• You are 18 or older and have never been licensed before.
• Your last driver’s license has been expired for more than four years.
• You have a foreign driver’s license from a country other than Canada or Germany.
The test includes driving on rural highways, expressways and residential neighborhoods. The “Driving Skills Test Study Guide” is available at any SOS branch office or on the SOS website.