The North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) has the following requirements when applying for a permit:
Level One Limited Learner’s Permit
• You must be at least 15 years old but less than 18 years old.
• You must be able to pass the written, sign and vision tests.
• You must have a high school diploma or an equivalent.
• You must have a Driving Eligibility Certificate if you have not graduated from high school.
• You must pay the Limited Learner Permit fee of $15.
The Level One Limited Learner’s Permit will automatically expire once you turn 18.