The State of North Carolina requires drivers to pass the following tests:
Driving Knowledge Test
• The written knowledge test consists of multiple-choice questions regarding North Carolina traffic laws and safe driving practices. You must correctly answer 20 out of 25 questions in order to pass the test.
• You must be able to identify the regulatory and warning signs by their color and shape and explain what each sign means in order to pass the traffic signs test.
Vision Screening Test
• You must be able to pass the vision-screening test with a visual acuity of 20/40 or 20/50 with the use of corrective lenses. If your visual acuity is 20/70 with corrective lenses, you will be restricted to driving on roads that have a speed limit of not more than 45 miles per hour and you will be prohibited from driving on any interstate highway. Your field of vision must be at least 60 degrees in one eye or 30 degrees on each side of the central point of fixation.
Driving Skills Test
• During the road test, you will be asked to perform basic driving maneuvers which include some of the following:
1. Approaching an intersection
2. Obeying traffic signals and stop signs
3. Stopping, starting and parking
4. Backing up
5. Following another motor vehicle
6. Three-point turn
7. Use of turn signals and horn
8. Passing another vehicle and being passed
9. Yielding the right of way to pedestrians and other vehicles
The driving skills test will not be initiated after 4 pm.