The State of Nebraska has the following requirements when applying for a permit:
Farm Husbandry Permit (Special and Temporary)
• You must be at least 13 years old and live on a farm or 14 years old if employed on a farm for wages. This permit will allow you to operate a mini-truck or an off-road vehicle used for agricultural, horticultural or livestock-raising operations for lifting or carrying an implement of husbandry.
• You must be able to pass a written, vision and driving test for a special permit and only a vision test for a temporary permit.
The temporary permit expires six months from the date issued and the special permit will expire on your 16th birthday.
Learner’s Permit (LPE)
• You must be between 14 and 16 years old.
• You must pass a written and vision test.
This permit is used for students who want to legally practice driving before applying for a School Permit and it expires three months after the date issued.
School Permit (SCP)
• You must be at least 14 years and two months old.
• You must have held an LPE or LPD for at least two months.
A School Permit allows you to operate a motor vehicle, motorcycle or moped to and from school if the following circumstances apply:
• You live one and a half miles or more from your school.
• You live outside a city of 5,000 or more.
• You attend a school outside a city of 5,000 or more.
You may only operate a motor vehicle unsupervised to and from your school under the following conditions:
• You must travel over the most direct route on the nearest highway from your residence.
• To attend any school-related activity.
• To transport another family member to school or school-related activity who lives with you.
You are allowed to use a School Permit at anytime when accompanied by a licensed driver who is 21 years or older and the permit will expire when you are 16 years and 3 months old.
Learner’s Permit (Type LPD)
• You must be at least 15 years old.
• You must pass a written and vision test. The written test may be waived if you have been issued an LPE, SCP or if your LPD has been expired for less than one year.
The LPD expires one year from the date issued.
Provisional Operator’s Permit (POP)
• You must be at least 16 years old.
• You must have held an LPE, SCP or LPD for at least six months and not have more than three points of your driving record during the six-month period before applying.
• You must pass a written, vision and driving test. The written and drive tests may be waived if you have a signed form from a driver safety course instructor. The written test may be waived if you have been issued an LPD, SCP or and LPD or it has been expired for less than one year. The written and vision tests may be waived if your SCP is valid or has been expired for less than one year.
The POP will expire on your 18th birthday.