Click here to ask your driving related question.

Ask a driving related question on

What documents do I need to go to the DMV?

The Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) requires all applicants to provide proof of identity, Social Security number or exemption and proof of residency by submitting the following documents:

Identity Verification (One document with name and date of birth)
• Valid Nebraska digital photo image retained in the DMV computer system
• Certified birth certificate issued by a State government office. Applicants presenting a city of county birth certificate may be asked to provide an additional identification document. Birth certificates issued by a hospital or issued from Puerto Rico prior to September 30, 2010 are not acceptable.
• Valid permit, operator’s license, Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) or state identification card issued in another state or place of United States jurisdiction (Must not be altered or mutilated)
• Valid foreign passport with (I-94 or I-94A) record of arrival and departure. An I-20 will also be required for F1, F2, J1 or J2 status. An I-797 may be required if the I-94 or I-94A is stamped as “Refugee”. (Form I-151, I-94W or I-94 Border Crosser will not be accepted)
• Valid Permanent Resident Card (I-551)
• Valid ADIT stamp “Processed for I-551” in foreign passport
• Valid Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
• Certificate of Naturalization (N-560 or N-570)
• Certificate of Citizenship (N-560 or N-451)
• Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the U.S. Department of State (FS-240, DS-1350 or FS-545)
• Valid military identification card or DD214 discharge papers
• Letter from the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services on State letterhead showing a ward of the state’s name and date of birth
• Tribal card containing name and date of birth
• Valid Job Corps Card containing name and date of birth

Principal Address Verification (Must present two documents of Nebraska principal address and post office boxes will not be accepted. Applicants under 21 can provide proof of parent or legal guardian’s address)
• Utility bill or credit card bill issued within the last 90 days
• Account statement issued from a bank or other financial institution issued within the last 90 days
• Valid Nebraska vehicle registration
• Nebraska Voter Registration card
• Paystub or earning statement issued within the last 90 days with name and address of the employer
• Federal, state or local government documents issued within the last 90 days, such as assessments, licenses or receipts with the exception of previous Nebraska licensing and state identification card documents issued prior to July 20, 2009
• Valid auto, health, home insurance or life insurance policy or card
• Mortgage, lease or rental agreement (Lease and rental agreements must include landlord’s name and contact information)
• Nebraska DMV 30-day receipt
• Nebraska DMV Renewal Notice
• Valid real estate tax statement or receipt
• Magazines issued within the last 90 days
• Any envelope, box or postcard that has been sent indicating a postmark or stamped date within the last 90 days
• Blank check if accompanied by another document listed above
• Valid license over 90 days old (nursing, law, teaching, hair, etc.) if accompanied by another document listed above
• Any correspondence, receipt or invoice dated within the last 90 days if accompanied by another document listed above

Social Security Number of Exemption (May be required and must include complete Social Security number)
• Social Security Card
• W-2 form
• SSA-1099 form
• Paystub showing applicant’s name and Social Security number
• Valid I-94 or I-94A with record of arrival and departure in valid foreign passport