It is a good idea to create a Parent/Teen Driving Agreement that outlines specific guidelines for teen drivers to follow. It should include some of the following:
• To obey the posted speed limit
• To consider weather and road conditions and adjust speed appropriately
• Not to drive when angry, frustrated or emotional
• Not to tailgate, speed or weave in and out of traffic
• Not to participate in any aggressive or reckless driving behavior
• The consequences for violating the agreement
Parents can promise to be a role model and lead by demonstrating responsible and safe driving practices.