Click here to ask your driving related question.

Ask a driving related question on

What documents do I need to go to the DMV?

The New Jersey MVC requires applicants to submit at least one primary document, one secondary document, proof of residency and a verifiable Social Security number. If you are not eligible for a Social Security number, you must provide an exemption letter from the Social Security Administration. All documents must be original or certified copies, in English, and have the required state and/or municipal seals. Certified copies of New Jersey records are available from the municipality that originally issued them and from the New Jersey State Bureau of Vital Statistics. Birth certificates issued before July 1, 2010, by the Puerto Rico Department of Health will not be accepted as proof of identification. Check with the Puerto Rico Federal Affairs Administration website for instructions on how to apply for a new certificate. All applicants must have the required documents to satisfy the 6-Point ID verification.

Primary Documents (U.S. Citizen) 4-Point Documents
• Civil birth certificate or certified copy from one of the 50 states, District of Columbia or a U.S. territory. (Photocopies or certificates from hospitals or religious entities are not accepted.)
• U.S. Department of State birth certificate (Form FS-545, FS-240 or DS-1350)
• U.S. passport, current or expired less than three years
• Current U.S. passport card
• Current New Jersey digital driver license
• Current New Jersey digital non-driver identification card
• Current New Jersey digital boat license
• Valid active duty U.S. military photo identification card
• U.S. adoption papers
• Certificate of naturalization (Form N-550, N-570 or N-578)
• Certificate of citizenship (Form N-560, N-561 or N-645)

Primary Documents (Non Citizens) 4-Point Documents (Additional requirements may apply)
• Foreign passport with INS or USCIS verification and valid record of arrival/departure (Form I-94)
• Foreign passport with INS or USCIS verification and valid Form I-551 stamp
• Current alien registration card (new Form I-551) with expiration date and verification from INS or USCIS
• Refugee travel document (Form I-571)
• U.S. re-entry permit (Form I-327)
• Valid I-94 stamped “Refugee”, “Parolee”, “Asylee” or “Notice of Action” (Form I-797 approved petition) by INS or USCIS
• Valid I-94 with attached photo stamped “Processed for I-551” by INS or USCIS

3-Point Documents
• Current photo employment authorization card (Form I-688B) or I-766). Must be presented with valid Social Security card.

2-Point Documents
• Current alien registration card (old Form I-551) without expiration date and with INS or USCIS verification
• Photo temporary resident card (Form I-688)

Proof of New Jersey Address
• Utility or credit card bill issued in the past 90 days that shows your name at your current address. (Mail addressed to P.O. boxes are not accepted a proof of address.)
• Checking or savings account statement from a bank or credit union, issued in the past 60 days
• High school or college report card or transcript containing your address issued, in the past 60 days
• Original lease or rental agreement showing your name as the lessee or renter
• Property tax bill, statement or receipt from the past year
• Any letter or correspondence (including tax bills) received from the IRS or state tax office in the last year
• First-class mail received from any federal, state or local government agency in the past six months
• If you are under 18, the MVC will accept a Parent of Guardian Certification that verifies you are living with a parent or guardian.

Secondary Documents
3-Point Documents
• Civil marriage, domestic partnership or civil union certificate issued by the municipality or state in which the ceremony occurred. (Photocopies or certificates issued by religious entities are not acceptable.)
• Order or decree of divorce, dissolution or termination
• Court order for a legal name change, signed by a judge or court clerk
• Current U.S. military dependent card
• U.S military photo retiree card
• Valid New Jersey firearm purchaser card

2-Point Documents
• U.S. school photo identification card with transcript or school records
• U.S. college photo identification card with transcript
• Valid federal, state or local government employee driver license
• Valid federal, state or local government employee photo identification card
• U.S. military discharge papers (DD-214)
• FAA pilot license

1-Point Documents (You cannot use more than two of these)
• Current/expired less than one year non-digital New Jersey photo driver license
• Current photo driver license from any other state or the District of Columbia
• Social Security card
• ATM card with pre-printed name and applicant’s signature. (An ATM card and bank statement cannot be submitted together.)
• Current health insurance card, prescription card
• Employee identification card with printed pay stub
• State professional license
• New Jersey public assistance card with photo (Also known as a New Jersey Social Services Identification card.)
• High school diploma, GED or college diploma
• Property tax statement, bill or receipt issued by a New Jersey municipality
• For New Jersey high school students—A waiver certificate for the written portion of the driver’s test
• Veterans Affairs universal access photo identification card

Legal Proof of Name Change (If your current legal name is different from the name on your civil birth certificate, you must show legal proof of name change.)
• Certified marriage certificate or civil union certificate
• Divorce Decree containing new name and previous name and permits a return to using the previous name
• Court order linking new name with a previous name

To complete the 6-point ID verification, the MVC will verify that your Social Security number matches your name and birth date on record with the Social Security Administration database.