The New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) has the following requirements to obtain an Instructional Permit:
• You must be at least 15 years old.
• You must be able to pass the knowledge and vision tests.
• You must have the written consent of your parent or legal guardian if you are under 18.
• You must be enrolled in and attending a driver’s education course approved by the Traffic Safety Bureau that includes DWI education and practice driving.
• You must pay the permit fee of $10.
The Instruction Permit is valid for six months and it can be renewed once within 12 months.