All beginning drivers under the age of 18 are required to complete a driver’s education course before applying for a license. The options include the following:
• Attend a classroom instruction course and complete 50 hours of behind-the-wheel driving.
• Complete an on-line course and 50 hours of behind-the-wheel driving.
• Complete 100 hours of practice driving. This option only applies to the following:
1. A classroom course is not offered within a 30-mile radius of where you live, or
2. You do not elect to complete a course on-line.
You can take a course offered by a public or private high school or any professional school licensed by the DMV. All professional schools issue a “Certificate of Completion” which must be submitted to the DMV when you apply for your license. A report card or transcript from a high school is also acceptable proof that you have completed the required driver’s education program.