Click here to ask your driving related question.

Ask a driving related question on

What documents do I need to go to the DMV?

The New York DMV requires all applicants to provide proof of identity, age and proof of name. Documents that prove your name are assigned a point value. You must submit proofs that total six points or more. At least one of the proofs must have your signature.

Proof of Identity (Must be in English or accompanied by a certified English translation)
• U.S. college identification with photo and transcript
• U.S. marriage or divorce record or court-issued name change document
• New York State professional license
• New York State or New York City Pistol Permit
• St. Regis Mohawk Tribe identification card

Proof of Identity (Must be in English or accompanied by a certified English translation)
—1 Point
• Valid U.S. major credit card, ATM card (with pre-printed name and signature), U.S. canceled check (with your pre-printed name) or U.S. bank/financial institution statement/record
• U.S. employee identification card
• U.S. computerized pay stub (must include your name)
• U.S. supermarket check cashing card (must have your pre-printed name and signature
• U.S. insurance policy (in effect at least two years)
• U.S. health insurance card/prescription card
• U.S. utility bill (must have your name and address)
• U.S. high school diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED)
• W-2 form (must include Social Security number)
• U.S. union card
• Veteran’s Universal Access photo identification card

Proof of Age (Must be an original document or certified copy)
• Birth certificate issued and certified by the U.S. Department of State or a Board of Health or Bureau of Vital Statistics in the U.S., its territories or possessions
• Certificate of Birth Registration issued by the Department of Health of New York State or New York City
• St. Regis Mohawk Tribe identification card plus a birth certificate issued in Canada
• U.S. military photo identification card
• U.S. passport
• Foreign passport (with INS documentation) or immigration documents
• Certification of Citizenship or Certificate of Naturalization

Proof of Name—6 Points
• New York State photo driver license, permit or non-driver identification card

Proof of Name—4 Points
• If under age 21, a statement of Identity by Parent/Guardian (MV-45) (see special instructions and requirements on DMV form). Proof of date of birth and an original Social Security card are required for the applicant.
• Valid United States passport

Proof of Name—3 Points
• Foreign passport in English and with a U.S. Visa and valid I-94 or unexpired I-551 stamp or statement on visa. If not in English, a certified translation by the embassy or consulate of the issuing country is required.
• Valid U.S. Re-entry Permit (I-327)
• Valid U.S. Refugee Travel Document (I-571)
• Certificate of Citizenship or Certificate of Naturalization (N-550, N-560, N-561, N-570, N-578 or N-645)
• Permanent Resident Identification Card (INS I-551)
• Valid U.S. Employment Authorization Card (INS I-688B or I-766 with photo)
• U.S. Military Photo Identification Card (issued to military personnel only)
• New York State Medicaid/Benefit/Food Stamp Card with photo (or 2 points without photo)

Proof of Name—2 Points
• Photo driver license issued by another U.S. state, jurisdiction, territory or possession or a Canadian province or territory (must be in effect at least 6 months and not expired for more than 12 months)
• U.S. Military Dependent Photo Identification Card
• New York State DMV non-photo interim license or computer generated learner permit
• New York State Vehicle Certificate of Title
• New York State Vehicle or Boat Registration Document
• U.S. Social Security card (must have your signature)
• U.S. high school identification with report card