Click here to ask your driving related question.

Ask a driving related question on

What documents must I fill out at the DMV to get my permit/driver’s license?

When applying for a learner’s permit or driver’s license, you will need to do the following:

• If you are under 18, you must fill out the application form (MV-44) and have it signed by your parent or legal guardian.
• You must submit the Certification of Supervised Driving (MV-262) Form signed by your parent or legal guardian certifying that you have completed a minimum of 50 hours of supervised practice driving, with 15 hours completed after sunset.
• If you are 17 years or older and have a Driver Education Student Certificate of Completion (MV-285), you do not need the consent of your parent or legal guardian.
• Submit documents to complete the 6-point identification verification.
• Submit your Social Security card.
• Pay the appropriate fee in cash, check or credit card.

In lieu of taking the vision test, you can submit an Eye Test Report (MV-619) signed by a licensed eye care specialist certifying that your vision meets the basic vision standards required by the DMV.

Once I get my permit, what do I need to do before I can drive with my parents?
The New York State Department of Health recommends that your parents read the “Teen Driving Safety Booklet for Parents” which is available online at The information provided is aimed at keeping teen drivers and their passengers safe while learning how to drive. A written parent/teen driving agreement will help you and your parents to set up rules for driving and the consequences for breaking the agreement.