When applying for a learner’s permit or driver’s license, you will need to do the following:
• If you are under 18, you must fill out the application form (MV-44) and have it signed by your parent or legal guardian.
• You must submit the Certification of Supervised Driving (MV-262) Form signed by your parent or legal guardian certifying that you have completed a minimum of 50 hours of supervised practice driving, with 15 hours completed after sunset.
• If you are 17 years or older and have a Driver Education Student Certificate of Completion (MV-285), you do not need the consent of your parent or legal guardian.
• Submit documents to complete the 6-point identification verification.
• Submit your Social Security card.
• Pay the appropriate fee in cash, check or credit card.
In lieu of taking the vision test, you can submit an Eye Test Report (MV-619) signed by a licensed eye care specialist certifying that your vision meets the basic vision standards required by the DMV.
Once I get my permit, what do I need to do before I can drive with my parents?
The New York State Department of Health recommends that your parents read the “Teen Driving Safety Booklet for Parents” which is available online at http://www.health.ny.gov/publications/3084/. The information provided is aimed at keeping teen drivers and their passengers safe while learning how to drive. A written parent/teen driving agreement will help you and your parents to set up rules for driving and the consequences for breaking the agreement.