When applying for a minor driver’s license, you need to meet the following requirements:
• You must have an instruction permit for 12 months if you are under 18.
• You must be between the ages of 16 and 20.
• You must submit a signed and completed Drive Time Log if under 18 years of age.
• You must have a six-hour behind-the-wheel training certificate if you are under 16 and a half or 12 hours of behind-the-wheel training if supervised by a parent, legal guardian or Alternate Permit Supervisor.
• Pass a driving test with a third-party tester or at a Colorado driver’s license office.
Your minor driver’s license expires 20 days after your 21st birthday.
What restrictions if any are there for new drivers?
Teens under the age of 18 who have a Colorado driver’s license are restricted from the following:
• No passengers under 21 are allowed in your vehicle until you have had your license for six months.
• No more than one passenger under 21 until you have had your license for a year.
• No driving is allowed between 12:00 and 5:00 am until you have had your license for a year unless you are accompanied by a parent or legal guardian, driving to or from your job or due to an emergency.