Click here to ask your driving related question.

Ask a driving related question on

What documents do I need to go to the DMV?

The North Dakota Department of Transportation requires applicants to provide proof of current name, and date of birth by submitting the following documents:

Proof of Identity (Must be original document or certified copy)
• United States birth certificate state certified and government issued including by a U.S. territory
• Valid United States passport
• U.S. government-issued Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Certificate or FS-240 Seal required)
• Valid foreign passport with an I-94 card or an I-551 stamp
• U.S. active duty, retiree, or reservist military identification card
• U.S. court order containing the legal name and date of birth (Court seal required). Divorce decree and marriage certificate are not acceptable for proof of date of birth.
• North Dakota state-issued permit, license or identification card
• The following immigration documents (must be unexpired):

1. I-551 Resident Alien or Permanent Resident Card
2. I-688 Temporary Resident Identification Card
3. I-688B, I-766 Employment Authorization Card
4. N-560 Certificate of Citizenship
5. N-550 Certificate of Naturalization
6. I-94 card stamped Refugee, Asylee or Parolee

A court order or government issued marriage certificate is required for a name change.