Skip to main content
Hero background

Applying For A handicapped Plate After Moving

If you have moved to a new state and are handicapped, you will want to be sure you apply for a new handicapped plate with the state you now live in. The plate does not always transfer over from one state to another. The DMV may require that you submit documentation from your doctor and go into a local office to take a written exam. A DMV practice test can help you prepare for this test.

Requirements for a Handicapped Plate

A handicapped plate will entitle you to park in any of the handicapped parking spaces without using a tag hanging from your rear-view mirror. The process is relatively simple, though it can vary by state. You will want to visit the DMV site for your state. If you meet any of the following criteria, the state will provide a handicapped plate to you: - Cannot walk more than 200 feet without resting - Use portable oxygen - Have a cardiac condition - Limited in ability to walk - Restricted by lung disease - Legally blind or deaf Once you have the necessary medical professional certification to submit along with the request for a handicapped plate, the state you are moving to may request that you complete a written exam. This verifies that you are familiar with the state laws.

How to Pass the Written Exam

If you have had a driver's license in another state, you are already familiar with many of the driving laws. You can take a DMV practice test to jog your memory of the laws and ensure you are knowledgeable about the ones in the state you now live in. The road sign practice test can be taken online as many times as you require. This will let you practice taking the multiple choice test. Each time you take the test, there will be different questions about road signs provided to you at random. Once you pass, it is a good indication that you will do well on the real one. Your handicapped plate will then be issued to you.