Skip to main content
Hero background

Considerations For Active Duty Military Drivers Moving Out Of State

If you are in the military, it's likely that you move around every two years or so. When you are on temporary assignment, you can drive in a state without any issue as long as you have a driver's license elsewhere in the country. However, if you move to that new state, you will need to get a driver's license in that state. This means that you will need to take a DMV practice test to prepare you for the knowledge test that you will be given.

What You Need to Know

When you are active duty military, you have the same requirements as everyone else on the road. You will need to visit the DMV as soon as you have officially moved into a new state in order to obtain a driver's license. Depending on the state, you will need to do the following:

  • Pay a fee
  • Take the vision test
  • Take the knowledge test

The knowledge test is going to ensure that you understand the various laws and road signs within the state. This may vary slightly from the state that you are from. It would be advantageous to go into the DMV to get a copy of the Driver's Handbook or to download the PDF from the Department of Motor Vehicle website for the state.

How to Prepare for the Knowledge Test

If you have to take the knowledge test more than once, it could cost you additional fees. It will also delay your ability to get a driver's license within the state. You will want to take a practice test for road signs for the state that you live in. There are usually 25 multiple choice questions on the test from the DMV. You will not be able to bring in any study guides to help you with the test. These 25 questions come from a database of around 200. By taking a few practice tests, you can become familiar with all potential topics and pass the test the first time around.