Skip to main content
Hero background

What should you do if you have a motor vehicle accident during your cross-country move?

Getting into an accident is never a fun experience. If you get into an accident while moving from one state to another, it could be a major headache. The following are some steps should you take if you are involved in a car accident in another state.

Where Did the Accident Occur?

If the accident occurred in your home state, you will call your insurance company and let them know about the accident. You can then take your car to a repair shop and file a claim based on the law in your state. If you have already bought insurance in your new home state, you will have the car sent to your new state regardless of where the accident happened. Your insurance company will then deal with your claim as spelled out by state law in the state where you are now insured.

Always Call the Police

It is critical that you call the police whenever you have an accident. Regardless of where the accident occurs, you will need a police report to submit to your insurance company. In addition, a police officer can help you exchange information with the other driver or drivers involved in the accident.

Get a Rental Car as Soon as Possible

You should be able to get a rental car if you need one regardless of where you are in the country. Most rental car companies have terminals located throughout the country. This means that you can pick up a car where the accident occurred and drop it off closer to where your new home is. Your insurance policy should cover the cost of a rental car. You want to avoid a car crash at all costs. However, if you are involved in a car accident, make sure that you know what to do to resolve the matter properly. If you need more guidance as to the specific steps that you need to take, you can call your insurance company or talk to the police when they arrive at the scene of the accident.