Click here to ask your driving related question.
Frequently Asked Questions - Preparing For Your VA Permit Test
- Is there anything I should do the night before my VA Permit Test?
- Do a lot of people fail the VA Permit Test on their first try?
- When I'm ready to take my VA Permit Test what should I do?
- Where can I take my VA Permit Test?
- Where can I find a copy of the VA Driver's Manual?
- Are there any chapters I can skip of the VA Driver's Manual?
- Typically, how many questions are on the VA Permit Test?
- How many questions do I need to answer correctly?
- How should I study for my VA Permit Test?
- Do I have to complete a Driver's Ed. Course to be eligible to receive my VA Driver's License?
Don't cram the night before your exam. Instead, you should review the notes and information you have already studied. If you've done a thorough job studying the night before should be a quiet review session. It's also a good idea to take a few practice questions on our website. Get a good night's rest as well.
The Virginia DMV does not provide statistics related to how many people pass or fail. Preparing thoroughly and studying consistently gives you the best chance of passing your permit test on your first try.
When you are ready to take your VA Permit Test, gather together your necessary documents (proof of your identity, proof your residency and proof of your residency in VA and your lawful presence in the U.S.) and visit your local DMV office. Make sure you have the $3.00 permit fee.
When you are ready to take your VA Permit Test, you will need to visit your local VA DMV office. You can find available locations near you by visiting this website: http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/exec/#csc/alpha.asp
Your local DMV office has copies of your VA Driver's Handbook. You can also download a copy by visiting this website: http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/pdf/dmv39.pdf
We recommend you read the entire manual at least once. Reading the entire manual gives you the best chance of passing your VA Permit Test.
There are 35 questions on the VA Permit Test.
You need to answer 30 out of the 35 questions correctly in order to pass.
Reading the VA Driver's Manual gives you the best chance of passing successfully the VA Permit Test. You should read the entire manual, focusing particularly on the main topics from each section i.e. safe driving rules, signals, traffic signs, speed laws and more.
If you are under 19, you will need to complete a driver's education course after you receive your VA Learner's Permit.