Click here to ask your driving related question.
Frequently Asked Questions - Taking Your RI Permit Test
- What happens after I pass my RI Permit Test?
- Is the RI Permit Test open book?
- Do I have to take a drug test to be able to take my RI Permit Test?
- What happens if I fail my RI Permit Test?
- What do I need to know to pass my RI Permit Test?
- How many questions do I have to answer correctly on the RI Permit Test to pass?
- At what age am I eligible to take the RI Permit Test?
- What documents do I need to bring with me when I take my RI Permit Test?
- Who do I need to bring with me when I go to take my RI Permit Test?
- How much does the RI Permit cost?
If you pass your RI Permit Test, you will receive your RI Learner's Permit. You will need to maintain your RI Permit for 6 months, at least, before you can take your RI Driving Exam. During this time, you should complete fifty hours of driving practice.
No. You are not allowed to use your RI Driver's Manual or any other study material while you take your RI Permit Test.
No. You do not have to take or pass a drug test to be able to apply or receive an RI Driver's License.
There are a few reasons, test takers fail their RI Permit Test. A test taker who fails may not have studied thoroughly. Or he or she may have been nervous, anxious and/or distracted on the day of the test. If you fail your RI Permit Test, you will not receive your RI Learner's Permit, and you will need to retake the exam. You will be able to do so as early as the next day, however, do not rush retaking the exam. Take your time. Read the entire RI Driver's Manual again and answer test questions on our website [link] so that the next time you take the RI Permit Test you have the best chance of passing.
To give yourself the best chance of passing your RI Permit Test, you should read the entire Manual. The Permit Test will test your knowledge of traffic safety laws, freeway driving, turn abouts, speed limits, traffic violations, starting on a hill, road signs, and other topics that are covered in the RI Driver's Manual.
The RI Permit Test consists of 50 multiple choice questions. You will need to answer 40 of those 50 questions correctly in order to pass.
In Rhode Island, the minimum age requirement is 16 years old.
On the day of your RI Permit Test, you will need to bring proof of your birth, your residency, driver's education and your Social Security Card.
If you are under 18, a parent or legal guardian should accompany you as they will need to sign your RI Permit Application.
If you are over 18, your permit will cost $6.50. If you are under 18, your RI Permit cost $11.50.