Click here to ask your driving related question.

Ask a driving related question on

Frequently Asked Questions - What If I Am Moving To NY Or Just Visiting

As long as you are a resident of the nation that issued your license, the state of New York will recognize your out-of-country driver's license. You are eligible to apply for an International Driver's Permit, which verifies that you hold a driver's license in your home country. If you choose to apply for the International Driver's Permit, you should still keep the license from your home country.Question Category
If you possess a valid NY Driver's license from another state, you do not need to take the NY Driving Exam. You have 30 days to replace your out-of-state license with a New York State Driver's License.
If you possess an out-of-state permit, you must obey the rules of your home state and New York State. You are allowed to use this permit and drive in New York as long as you are 16 years old or older. However, this permit cannot be used for the road test. You must apply for a NYS learner's permit and NY Driver's license.
After you receive your NYS learner's permit, you must wait at least 6 months before taking the NY Driving Exam.
If you plan to become a New York resident, you have 30 days to apply for your New York State license. If you do not plan to become a resident, then you are fine to drive with your out-of-state license as long as it is not suspended, revoked or expired.