Click here to ask your driving related question.

Ask a driving related question on

Frequently Asked Questions - What If You're Moving To Virginia (Or Just Visiting)

Yes. You can use your out-of-state learner's permit in Virginia as long as the permit is valid. You will still need to follow Virginia traffic laws and regulations.
If you are not planning on becoming a VA resident, you can drive with your out-of-state license for as long as you like. If you do become a VA resident, you have to obtain a Virginia license within 60 days.
You may drive in Virginia with an out-of-country license for 60 days. Then you will have to begin the licensing process, which varies depending on where you are from. If you are from Canada, France or Germany, you need only take a vision test. If your license is from another country, other than the ones listed, you will have to pass the knowledge exam, road skills test and vision test before you can obtain a VA license.Question Category
When you move to Virginia you have 60 days to obtain a Virginia license. If you are older than 19, you will have to take an eye exam, which costs $5. You do not have to complete the VA Driving Exam. If you are 19, you can replace your out-of-state license with a VA license as long as you are 16 or older, have completed a Driver's Education course and as long as you can provide the necessary documents (proof of your identity, your lawful presence in the U.S., your residency in Virginia and your Social Security Number, if you have one.)